Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
One gripe I have with comics is with rare exceptions, most super heroes tend to have a revolving door in their love life. outside of Superman and Lois Lane and Spider-Man and Mary Jane, there aren't many that have a relationship as a major constant in their tales. Even Heather and Macs relationship past his first death has been a rocky road to Dublin. So I thought people could list some of their favorite Alphans along with their favorite potential romantic partners for said Alphans, either hinted at in the comics, or soley in the imagination.
Well, Scott Summers (Cyclops) and Jean Grey (Marvel Girl/Phoenix/Whatever She's Called These Days) had a pretty amazing fun of a relationship - until her (first) demise. And Reed Richards and Sue Richards, had a pretty long run of a relationship also.

But after that? Yes. Things went to hell for both.

I can't stand Cyclops and Emma together. I absolutely LOVED Emma Frost as a villain. Loved her. I ... tolerated her, when she became the teacher of Generation X... it almost made sense, after the slaughter of her Hellions, that she would want to take on some more students... but the evolution of her and Scott together... never bought it... never liked it. And I generally, don't like Emma as a hero.

Moving on...

Heather and Mac were the best couple in Alpha Flight. This is just ONE of the many things where I feel - yes, killing Mac was a "OMG!" moment - but it broke the book. Alpha Flight, at that point, should have just been a 12 issue limited series. Because it left the team without a leader for way too long - I feel like the book honestly floundered. And the fact that Heather and Mac were not a thing - and all these other pieces just seemed to fall apart for me. I would not have minded Heather and Puck together - as you said - they at least felt like they had some believable chemistry. I never liked Heather and Madison - because he went from looking like a pretty ugly guy - to being drawn as a more attractive guy so that it would work out visually. And to me - despite the "forced" chemistry - I don't feel like the two of them ever clicked.

As for Marinna and Dan - in recent years, I have wondered if John Byrne didn't have an odd fetish. For example, back in the day when I was reading Uncanny X-Men and was infinitely younger - it never bothered me about Kitty and Colossus (way back then). But in hindsight, she was probably about 13 and Colossus was probably at least 18 or a little older. That relationship suddenly becomes a little odd. And if Byrne had developed a relationship between Dan and Marinna - that too, might have been odd. I would have actually liked to see that struggle of a budding relationship - have Marinna meet Sub-Mariner, and then have that evolve because the common things between Marinna and Sub-Mariner. (I, however, would not have wanted her to turn into a beast and eventually be killed...)

Another relationship I was expecting to see in Alpha Flight was Snowbird and me... I mean... wait... did I just make it weird?