Thread: An Off Question...

Default An Off Question...

okay, here's an odd question for you all: if you could adapt any classical literature into a comic - no matter how indirectly (ie: 'the further adventures') - which would you chose? What would be your premise?
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

"All quiet on the Western Front" could work quite well.

For you English blokes, John Fowles' "A Maggot" could have some interesting visuals with the cave
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" is one book I've always thought would be great as a comic.

'Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity Surveying' or 'Don Quixote'
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quixote's just been done, hasn't it?

Don't think it's shipped yet though.

New one on me Phil. Shows how much notice I take on whats new and readable out there. I was talking to Allan about this this morning and somhow came to the conclusion that Don Quixote is of the same premise as Batman and Robin. One loopy geezer and a sidekick to keep him honest
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

DC did a Hithchhiker's Guide, and a Restaurant at the End of the Universe in the 90's. They could've made a great comic, but they didn't - you had to know the books real well to follow them, imho - luckily, I did.

I once wrote a Batman / Phantom of the Opera Amalgam - right before DC published one. Mine was better, of course.

- Le Messor
    "It's safe to say I haven't seen an invisible girl."
    - Dawn

Another one Allan and I have discussed is 'A Clockwork Orange'. It wasn't until I read the books intro last night, that I found out Kubrick didn't use the last chapter of the book in the film. We've had a depiction of a totalitarian state in 'V for Vendetta', but the world in which Alex lives although not as stringent as V's world, would still make for an interesting comic IMHO.
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    The Ikea catalogue.
    Ohhhhh, that woud be soooo good! That would have to be an adult only comic though...one I know I'd keep between my matress and box spring!

Ben

I don't read alot of the classical stuff, but how about Max Barry's "Jennifer Government", it could be quite a funny adventure comic.
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    The Ikea catalogue.
    Ohhhhh, that woud be soooo good! That would have to be an adult only comic though...one I know I'd keep between my matress and box spring!

Ben
    I heart you Benjamin

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

How 'bout Lord Of The Rings? It's been done, but well? I don't know.

Or Harry Potter, for that matter?
    The Portrait of Dorian Grey? Has The Tempest been done?

- Le Messor
    "Beware of the man who knows the answer before he understands the question."