Thread: Good article on saving the industry

Threaded View

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Rider View Post
    I think that people forget that comic books were always aimed at kids and teenagers.
    With apologies to FP's next post, did you mean 'were' or 'weren't' here? (The rest of your post implies 'weren't'.)
    (And it'd make a better counter to my post that way.)

I'll alter my point slightly, then, based on a 'weren't' interpretation:
    Comics written to be readable by kids are what got me into the hobby.
    They're also the ones that appeal to me. 'Adult' superhero comics do not. They feel like they're superhero comics for and by people who hate superheroes; as somebody who's reading superheroes, I don't hate them.

That's why the 70's / 80's are my favourite period; they balance between the clumsiness and oversimplification of the 60's, the griminess of the 90's and the over'realism' and excessive seriousness of the 00's - now.
    They're sophisticated, but still fun; they're about character but still heroic... etc...

(This is, of course, a generalisation. Exceptions of all kinds exist.)

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricSage View Post
    'I'll abuse the characters all I want, fans of those characters will still buy the books'. People like these pretty quickly drive fans like myself away.
    But, *sigh*, know fans like myself all too well...

- Le Messor
    "What's the deal with Manny the manager? If I ask him really nicely do you think he'd let me write a children's book called that?"
    ~ Buffy
    Last edited by Le Messor; 08-13-2011 at 04:52 PM.