Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Oh that's terrible news. I'm sorry to hear that.
    Thank you.

I will be back to post in here when I have read another issue of AF and have something to say about it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crackity Jones View Post
    I will be back to post in here when I have read another issue of AF and have something to say about it.
    I hope it's soon, but you have bigger things on your mind right now.
    Again, condolences.

Anything I've been reading has been mainly silver age stuff (so no AF) because I need the goofy nonsense right now.
    Y'know, that's what frustrates me so much when people say 'the world has got darker, so we need our fiction to be darker'. I find it's the exact opposite - the worse things are in my life (and the world in general), the lighter I need my fiction to be to compensate.

~ Le Messor

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    I hope it's soon, but you have bigger things on your mind right now.
    Again, condolences.
    Thank you.

Y'know, that's what frustrates me so much when people say 'the world has got darker, so we need our fiction to be darker'. I find it's the exact opposite - the worse things are in my life (and the world in general), the lighter I need my fiction to be to compensate.

~ Le Messor
    Exactly.
    I have been reading Silver Age Teen Titans which is goofy as Hell (especially The Brave and the Bold stuff), and Stan Lee's Silver Surfer (which is so hilariously melodramatic and fantastic).
    It's been like medicine for me.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I have been reading Silver Age Teen Titans which is goofy as Hell (especially The Brave and the Bold stuff),
    I've been meaning to track those down. The first few are in Archive Editions, and the later ones aren't pricey.

~ Le Messor
    "A man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for?"
    ~ Rudyard Kipling

I've been meaning to track those down. The first few are in Archive Editions, and the later ones aren't pricey.

~ Le Messor
    "A man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for?"
    ~ Rudyard Kipling
    I have the first two Archives books. I wasn't really anticipating getting into silver age TT when I got them, but it's been working out for me so far.

I started reading Wein and Wrightson's Swamp Thing, which is excellent so far, but it was just too sad for me to read right now.

Are you a tribal member or was just a random book you picked up?

Also, welcome back, don't think we talked much before hand but hope all is well.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    Are you a tribal member or was just a random book you picked up?

Also, welcome back, don't think we talked much before hand but hope all is well.

No, I am not Indigenous American at all.
    But my friend is, and she shared her Amazon booklist with me, and some of the books looked fascinating, so she suggested I get some and we could read them together.
    So, while browsing her books, that book up there popped up as a recommendation.
    The topic goes quite well with some local volunteer work I will be doing this Fall.
    This book was not on her list, but she got a copy and is reading it with me.

It is a research book, complete with footnotes.
    When I was in school, the only time we got any solid Native history was in 3rd grade. lol.
    So, a lot of this information is new to me.
    And it's a harsh and heavy book. It is dense with information, with additional research to back up her research.
    It does not read smoothly, and it can be very overwhelming, but I keep on with it.