Thread: Crackity Jones' Discovery Of Alpha Flight

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    Are you a tribal member or was just a random book you picked up?

Also, welcome back, don't think we talked much before hand but hope all is well.

No, I am not Indigenous American at all.
    But my friend is, and she shared her Amazon booklist with me, and some of the books looked fascinating, so she suggested I get some and we could read them together.
    So, while browsing her books, that book up there popped up as a recommendation.
    The topic goes quite well with some local volunteer work I will be doing this Fall.
    This book was not on her list, but she got a copy and is reading it with me.

It is a research book, complete with footnotes.
    When I was in school, the only time we got any solid Native history was in 3rd grade. lol.
    So, a lot of this information is new to me.
    And it's a harsh and heavy book. It is dense with information, with additional research to back up her research.
    It does not read smoothly, and it can be very overwhelming, but I keep on with it.

well if you need any more information on DV on indian women/ tribal lands, I can ask our DV advocates tribal office. There is a couple shorts films on the subject as well. Sorry to jack the thread. lol Glad you are back tho.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    well if you need any more information on DV on indian women/ tribal lands, I can ask our DV advocates tribal office. There is a couple shorts films on the subject as well. Sorry to jack the thread. lol Glad you are back tho.
    I am totally okay with talking about this! You did not hijack my thread! I am the one who went off topic.

It's not so much DV amongst natives themselves.
    I'll just list here the different topics she researched and discusses (per chapter):

Chpt. 1: Sexual Violence As a Tool of Genocide

Chpt. 2: Boarding School Abuses and the Case for Reparations

Chpt. 3: Rape of the Land

Chpt. 4: The Colonization of Native Womens' Reproductive Health

Chpt. 5: Medical Experimentation in Native Communities

Chpt 6: Spiritual Appropriation as Sexual Violence

Chpt 7: Anticolonial Responses to Gender Violence

Chpt 8: U.S. Empire and the War Against Native Sovereignty

But I would love nothing more than to get any info you are willing to share, if you do not mind me messaging you?