Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Alpha Flight To End With #8 *SPOILERS FOR #4* *UPDATED*

Hybrid View

Good point....I find it odd that Marvel has so little faith in Alpha Flight when (as we've seen) it's outselling a lot of their other books still.

Sure it's not in the top 100 anymore, but that's to be expected with DC's #1 explosion.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    Good point....I find it odd that Marvel has so little faith in Alpha Flight when (as we've seen) it's outselling a lot of their other books still.

Sure it's not in the top 100 anymore, but that's to be expected with DC's #1 explosion.

Dana
    agreed, but what i don't get.. is if they had so LITTLE faith in it from the get go, why did they even bother to bring it back in the first place in chaos war? that doesn't make sense if they had no faith in it they should have just let it alone. i think marvel has gotten a little TOO comfortable, with its movie money and that's what attracted disney to buy it in the first place. and when DC takes a risk in the books they soundly kick marvels ass, and we get caught in the crossfire and they also seem to be forgetting the fans, that make them the money in the first place. marvel would be NOTHING if no one bought the stuff they make

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
    It's really not though.
    It's only outselling 4 other ongoings, and if sales are dropping at the rate they are then #5 probably won't be outselling all of those, by #8 probably none of those.

Marvel can't pander to the 24,000 of us that actually like AF. It's just not practical.
    And I can honestly say that if I were in control of Marvel finances I'd have to do the same.
    It's nothing personal against AF; they really pushed it this time.

A clean, tight, finished maxi-series really is the best option.
    Two months ago that was all we were expecting, all we were getting and that was fine.

Let's look forward to the next event-tied-in mini.

I'm definitely grateful to the creative team who obviously love Alpha as much as we do and treat the characters with respect.

I'm just mad at Marvel for being short sighted liars who refuse to put forth effort or take risks.

I worry that now the characters will just be offered up to hack writers on fly-by-night titles to be jacked up. I wonder who among them will be sacrificed to the next big event that requires character deaths and characters doing a 180 in order to force some **** plot in a big formulaic money grab? Yes, I'm still bitter over Tieri and Loeb.
    "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, you must be Marvel."
    -FlightPath07 Don't you feel all important now?

I have nothing official yet, but keep an eye on our website/Facebook page/The Agora. I'll announce as soon as something's official.

So glad AF introduced you to Dale's art. And what *I* got most out of this series is a whole bunch of amazing alpha-friends, including you, Sypes! It was really great meeting you and I hope we see you at FanExpo again next year!

Oh, and I forgot to say to rplass: The rounded ear is driving me NUTS too!!! I feel some Tourette's coming on every time I see it, LOL!

Wolfie

After reading the cancellation news and all of these postings I only hope that Marvel sees the passion the fans and this latest group of creators have for Alpha Flight. I also hope that this isn't the end of AF and that an ongoing is in the future after all...because if we don't have hope what else is there (besides anger, bitterness, resentment, frustration, feeling of betrayal, etc.). BTW, I'm still gonna wear my Guardian suit for Halloween!

DIGGER

I have roughly 40 long boxes full of comics (and probably another 2 or 3 worth of loose issues around the house, my girlfriend of over 10 years thanks me very much!), and I have them broken into 2 categories: titles I currently collect, and all titles I dropped/cancelled/ended.

I just pulled the entire three volumes of AF out of the latter and put them into the former, shifting everything around Friday evening. Saturday comes and this news happens. Figures, donnit?

While I'm happy that we got any Alpha at all for these past (soon-to-be) 10 months or so, I would like to say I am not angry at Marvel.

I am extremely disappointed at them, however.

I am under no disillusionment that this was anything more than a fringe title for Marvel that would always be on the razor's edge of cancellation once it was announced that it would be ongoing. I figured that if it made it more than 20 issues (beating out Vol. 2), that it would be a success in my mind.

However, to not even let it get past its initial, designed-to-be-a-mini first arc to see if the fans would start to pick it up, to use the vernacular, sucks.

To announce that it would be an ongoing, and two months later announce its cancellation, blows.

To lose a title that doesn't month-in and month-out feature characters that feel like they don't just belong there (I'm looking at you, Avengers and FF), stinks.

I also feel bad for the creators. I know Fred, Greg, and Dale will all get more work (and I'm sure probably already do). Fred and Greg especially however, are dear to my comic heart. In an age filled with writers who write comic books, these two are comic-book writers. They are in a select handful of writers today who I feel actually write their stories for all ages, not talking down to children and not dumbing down their comics for adults. In an age where so often I read a comic and feel like taking a shower afterward to wash the stink of despair and hopelessness emanating from these characters that used to exude so much hope, Fred and Greg made things feel both serious and fun at the same time. They are throwbacks to the pre-90's type of writer that is quickly disappearing, and I feel that many of today's "mature" fans have chosen not to embrace as "edgy" and "cool".

I know I joke around a lot on these boards, and will continue to do so, but this is one moment I just have to shake my head and ask what Marvel means to me anymore.

I agree with what Phil is saying and he makes a good point. Just because it's outselling some other ongoings, doesn't mean it's not losing readership. Now if the numbers on #5 come back and have leveled off or gained some readers I'm going to scratch my head.

Also, gen hope, xfactor, avengers academy are all heavy involved in a restructure with regenesis and the fall out of fear itself, so no way those books are in immediate danger.

The thing that really.......really..........REALLY BUGS ME, is that they should have never announced it as a ongoing!!! Keep it a maxi series, tell a great story, reestablish their place in the marvel universe. THEN launch a ongoing if the tpb sells well. Makes me question Who's running things at marvel. It just makes no sense. None.

Oh btw, I am really gonna miss this creative team. Wolfie feels like a surrogate mom. You can tell how much dale loved these characters, and we all know fvl's love of them.

*sigh*

Wondered why it still said "of 8" on issue five's cover...

That sucks...even my wife, who doesn't "get" comics, thinks it's pretty low of Marvel to announce an ongoing and then change their mind.

At least it was fun while it lasted (though this is now officially the shortest Alpha ongoing series, no?)

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CMatt78 View Post
    At least it was fun while it lasted (though this is now officially the shortest Alpha ongoing series, no?)
    Each one is shorter than the last.

Quote Originally Posted by CMatt78 View Post
    (though this is now officially the shortest Alpha ongoing series, no?)
    Technically this was never an ongoing.

It was an ongoing in spoken word and online interviews, but never in print.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Technically this was never an ongoing.
    It was an ongoing in spoken word and online interviews, but never in print.
    Technically, that is true.

- Le Messor
    "If I had had more time, I could have written you a shorter letter."
    ~ Blaise Pascal

Yep, out of the four volumes this is the shortest number of issues. That's if you leave Omega out of the mix.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

alpha flight is the only marvel comic i buy and i use to hate dc. so in all it was about the only one i bought period. looks like i'm a dc fan now. i picked up batman and green arrow for the new 52 and i love them. and without alpha flight looks like i'll only buy issues with them in it. this is the best alpha flight since the first and its sickening to watch it go down the drain.