Quote Originally Posted by Manikin
Too much power? I can see it that way, but he was already super rich and flew around the the most expensive peice of equipment known to man.
You mistake what I said, Manikin. I didn't mean "power" as in "raw force", I mean "power" as in the political variety. The fact he's powerful, authoritatively, as well as walking/flying around in one of the most sophisticated piece of machinery, as well as has more money than most nations, just makes him that much more of a menace.

The difference between Tony Stark and other marvel villians is that he does what he does because he feels that it is the only way.
By that standard, what's the difference between Stark and Magneto - who only does what he does because he feels it's the "only way" to safe-guard the future of mutantkind - then? Yet Magneto is considered a villain, while, even today, after all the crap he did during CW, Stark is still classified as a "hero".

He feels he is doing it right.
By forcing people to sacrifice their safety and the safety of their loved ones by going public (see: Spider-Man)? By denying people who threaten his plans their basic civil liberties (see: Hulk)? By forcing those who, otherwise, are advantageous enough to be "useful" to his acts to act as bounty hunters (see: Speedball/Penance and the Thunderbolts)? By imprisoning those who are against him in a known volatile location (see: Anti-SHRA prisoners in the Negative Zone)?

He may feel he's "doing right", but does that make him right?

The 50-State Initative will probably be the only thing that keeps the Skrulls at bay
I don't know about that one: The X-Men has protected the Earth - single-handedly for the most part - against entire civilizations like the Shi'ar and Phalanx LONG before any Initiative had been set up. Heck, the Fantastic Four has kept Galactus at bay, all by their lonesome for over 40 years. Not to mention all that people like Spider-Man, the Avengers, all those solo costumed heroes have done over the years, for the most part without ever having to divulge their identities or register. Infinity Gauntlet: MU vs. Thanos. Infinity War: MU vs. Thanos, the Magus and his insane army of dopplegangers. Infinity Crusade: Half the MU vs. the Goddess and the OTHER half of the MU. All three confrontations involve massive amounts of people working together, and not once did they have to be "registered". Why? Because they trusted each other. Those they didn't trust, they investigated and judged them by their characters. Daredevil, Spider-Man, they worked in all three confrontations, and very few knew their real identities. heck, "Weapon Omega" served in the last two confrontations, and he's a convicted sociopath (we and Alpha knew that, at the time, he was reformed, but no one else did). At that point, no one really knew who was under what mask. At that point, many of the Avengers didn't know who each other were. For all people knew, it was Frank Castle or Victor von Doom or Jeffery Daumer under there. But they still trusted each other to work together for the better good of the world. Saying the up-coming Skrull invasion will "only" be repressed by the Initiative is wrong. Why? Because, again, you have half the MU vs. half the MU, and the Initiative half can't trust each other - nor their leader. Watch. I guarantee you, give it a year on the outside, and the "Initiative" will fall apart because - surprise, surprise - Tony Stark and his intellectual Inquisitional squad (Reed Richards, Henry Pym among them) and their Machiavellian method are going to lose the more humanistic members - the ones who are more empathetic towards their fellow person - as they realize how dishonest, untrustable and malevolent their "righteous leader" Tony Stark really is, and how much of a fool they have been for falling for his irresistible "charms" once again.

...unless Alpha comes back and kicks the s**t outta them.
Heh,"them" meaning the Skrulls, or the Initiative? :P

Is he misguided? Hell yes!
Yes, he is misguided. But then again: Name a villain who isn't? The real question shouldn't be "is Tony Stark still likeable", it's "is Tony Stark still a hero?"