Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Canadian movies

Default Greatest Canadian movies

I was looking for the movie Le Matou and I came across this website:

http://www.pulpanddagger.com/movies/filmtv.html

I thought his definition of canadian movie is pretty large, there is missing a lot of Quebecers movies, but he as seen some I've never heard about. I've seen 1 mistrake, but the rest seems acurate. I don't always agree with him (Les Filles de Caleb were greats and the mens where not pigs, even less in Blanche), most film I know about in that list I know because they where shown as American and his list would be twice bigger if he could include Quebec tv shows.

Whicch lead us to why I'm writting in this forum about that website. In that place:

http://www.pulpanddagger.com/movies/...twentyone.html

he talks about Alpha Flight and Wolverine. Nice paper, but is this not the obvious? Québec as a flouriching film but most of all tv industry, and we just don't care if others don't watch it, it's for us, it's sell very well between us and we love it, makes people from here works here. Everyone is happy and if it can be like by other country, it's a bonus. Tv and film are one of the best medium to show how strong is our culture, no?

The link didn't work for me, but when I think of my favourite Canadian movie, I have to think about nearly having a heart attack laughing at the Elvis Gratton movies.

Looking forward to #3

The link did not work? But I just check and it do work for me at home and at work?????? I don'r know what's wrong.

And you know and like Elvis Gratton???? I must admit I never saw #2, mainly so many people did not liked it and we all know it's a way for Falardeau to gain money for other projects. But 'le retour d'Elvis Wong' as a title just seems too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    The link did not work? But I just check and it do work for me at home and at work?????? I don'r know what's wrong.

And you know and like Elvis Gratton???? I must admit I never saw #2, mainly so many people did not liked it and we all know it's a way for Falardeau to gain money for other projects. But 'le retour d'Elvis Wong' as a title just seems too funny.
    Okay, it works now. Earlier I got the "page can not be displayed" message. Maybe just a server hiccup. Anyway, I'll check that site out, I've bookmarked it. Looks good!

And baby, I know and LOVE Elvis Gratton! Both movies. I came across where people are asked to grade movies from 1-10 and for "Miracle a Memphis", people either voted a 2 or a 9. There was very little middle ground. You love it or hate it. I thought it started lousy, ended terribly, but that the middle was as funny as any movie I'd ever seen.

Don't be surprised that I know them, by the way. My parents are from La Prairie, and even though Imoved out of the province when I was 8 years old and married into a completely anglophone family, I still hold on to a bit of my French background dearly.

'Sti.

And baby, I know and LOVE Elvis Gratton! Both movies. I came across where people are asked to grade movies from 1-10 and for "Miracle a Memphis", people either voted a 2 or a 9. There was very little middle ground. You love it or hate it. I thought it started lousy, ended terribly, but that the middle was as funny as any movie I'd ever seen.

http://www.christalfilms.com/officia...visgrattonxxx/

go there, you will see a link to a preview to Elvis Gratton III.

And another good movie is Dans une galaxie près de chez vous and les Triplettes de belleville which as some quebecers voices or the very nasty santa claus song

and not related to AF, but I saw a comic from DC written by Busiek and draw by Pacheco and we saw a grave with a canadian flag, I guess if canadian wrote about canadian, it could sell, no?

Default movies

My favorite canadian flick is Highway 61. Apparently it isn't made anymore you can only get it used.
    it s about a barber and a homeless lady and they take highway 61 to new orleans with a dead body. its really funny (i thought anyway).

Highway 61 is a canadian movie? I don't think I've seen it like most english canadian stuff, except kids in the Hall which I liked but forgot to watch.

I like 'Until The End of the World' by Wim Wenders - does that count? I also really like a movie called 'Roadkill', it's shot in black and white and has a soundtrack by the Ramones! It's a sort of road movie about a young woman who has to find the singer of a cult band who's gone missing.

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    Highway 61 is a canadian movie? I don't think I've seen it like most english canadian stuff, except kids in the Hall which I liked but forgot to watch.
    Yeah, Kids in the Hall ROCKED! Did you ever see that movie that they did? That was pretty cool.

I also loved the Canadian 'teen drama series' Madison (which starred Phil Collin's daughter Joely), so much better than Dawson's Creek and all of that ilk, much more compelling and daring and REAL.

Sorry folks, had to move this topic

Ben

I was thinking that myself

Default Re: Ginger Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSnowbird
    The Ginger Snaps Series

What is that????

Ginger Snaps:
    Is becoming a woman analogous, in some deep psychological way, to becoming a werewolf? Ginger is 16, edgy, tough, and, with her younger sister, into staging and photographing scenes of death. They've made a pact about dying together. In early October, on the night she has her first period, which is also the night of a full moon, a werewolf bites Ginger. Within a few days, some serious changes happen to her body and her temperament. Her sister Brigitte, 15, tries to find a cure with the help of Sam, a local doper. As Brigitte races against the clock, Halloween and another full moon approach, Ginger gets scarier, and it isn't just local dogs that begin to die. From Imdb

Ginger Snaps II:
    Brigitte's on the run from Bailey Downs, and she tries to prevent what happened to her sister, Ginger, from happening to her by shooting up with monkshood. Eventually she collapses and the police that find assume the monkshood is an illegal drug, and she is sent to rehab. She is deprived of the only thing that will stop her from turning into a beast and killing everyone and everything in her way. She meets a girl who is quiet and not well-liked, and much like herself, by the name of Ghost that helps her deal with her new problem and to escape the werewolf curse.

Both starring Katherine Isabelle as Ginger and Emily Perkins as Brigitte

I have to say Jesus Of Montreal was the best Canadian flick so far. The writing was fantastic, the acting was great (though I saw the dubbed version of course) and most of all I was impressed with how good the play within the movie was. Except for this production I have yet to see a "show within a show" done so well. IMO it could stand on its own as a real play.