The part where in order to extract Intel from the captured resistance member, they install into their vr torture device a program in which, if she still refuses to talk, her dead father will forcibly rape her. I just thought that moment was a. An unnecessary women in refrigerators moment b. made the character of the American completely irredeemable (not saying she should have been a sympathetic character but that moment turned her into a caricature of a villain) and c. I nearly threw up reading that scene. I have no problem with the Americans being the bad guys, but even in the original red dawn there was a sympathetic character on the invading side (the Latin American colonel). Every American character in the book minus a half hearted protest from the vr torture programmer is shown to be just vile to the core, which especially in a book that touts how it grasps the modern pulse of social commentary (and to be fair in many cases the book succeeds) have very very very two dimensional bad guys severely undercuts that message. Also as much as I loathe the character of superman, I felt they unnessecairly shat on Jerry Seigel, saying he did none of the real work in creating the character. P