Thread: From an old issue of Marvel Age about Bill coming on Alpha Flight.

Hybrid View

The goal...the vision...the purpose...was to get rid of original Alpha Flight, yet (somehow) capitalize off its popularity. It is the most cynical approach to sequential storytelling I've ever seen.

Isn't that what happened when Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Hawkeye became the Avengers?
    When Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus became the X-Men?

It seems like a pretty standard trope in comics, to me.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Apples to apples. oranges to oranges...

I'm actually glad that you brought this up, because in the old days characters were written out of books while as well as characters written into books...without going for killing off character, in mass, in the most wretched, inane ways possible...while pretending to "love" the very characters that they were destroying.

Captain America is (was) a living legend. Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were reformed villains. They all soon proved themselves to be effective Avengers.

When Dave Cockrum, Len Wein, and Chris Claremont first started revitalizing The X-Men, they were not the most popular kids on the block.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.