Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Alpha Flight

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Yeah, I know. Dividing up the responsibilities would be professional and probably better---much better---but that hasn't always been the case, even with the top premiere comic book publishers. Besides, this is my hobby. That's about as far as it's going to go. (I didn't get to touch on perspective and backgrounds and locations because if I can just do the things I mentioned previously well, maybe I can keep on going).

And, I kinda figured you were working on something.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Better? I never said that!
    I said what to put this: "It gives me a greater appreciation for the skill and dedication of the writers and artists and inkers and letterers and editors, especially the ones who had to work on a twice-a-month deadline." into perspective. They may have a twice-a-month deadline, but you're doing the work of five people!

~ Le Messor
    "Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training."
    ~ Anna Freud

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Oh.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Starting over

When I went to AWESOME-CON on Saturday, March 31st, I met Neal Adams. Big thrill for me. I told him I was having some trouble getting my story to say what I want it to say and do what I want it to do. He asked me if I was working from a script; I told him it was more of a synopsis. He told me it would be better if I worked from a script.

Therefore, back to the beginning, starting with this....
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 07-05-2023 at 01:15 PM.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Images

I've got Neal Adams' autograph, but never met him. (Long story: bought a signed edition. Okay, not that long.)

When I decided to do a comic, I started off impro, but then I went to a script. There's an old (debate?) among writers - planners vs improvisers. The actual answer is, whatever works for you. In your case, though, changing your style might solve a problem.

Also, your new page isn't showing.

~ Le Messor
    "An essential attribute of a good conversationalist is to be an equally good listener."
    ~ Errol White

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Cross-Roads

Had a bit of a problem with the computer where I was at, the last time. I wanted to have a MARVEL IDEA SUBMISSION FORM signed and notarized, but it didn't happen, yesterday (April 30th).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Garry/Al-Fan; 07-11-2023 at 09:34 PM.

Images

You need a submission form notatrised? That's surprising.

(Also, I assume you've looked into this: you've put a © on your submission; don't they already have their own © for it?)
    I like that you back up your pitch with stats; but do you need a little more of the actual meat of the issue? Plot outline, more pictures than headshots?

I hope this goes well. I'd love to see a new series created by one of us!

~ Le Messor
    "Good, better, best, never let it rest, till you good is better and your better, best."
    ~ David Rees

Not to be a downer, but I’m pretty sure Marvel don’t accept unsolicited submissions, and you have to be invited to pitch.

And in this market a oneshot of that size is unlikely, with a gatefold cover even moreso, and no variants *sigh* even moreso.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Le Messor - on the MARVEL IDEA SUBMISSION FORM, "5. You warrant that you are the sole owner, creator, inventor and author of the Material, that you have the full right and authorization to submit the Material and that no other person or entity, unless disclosed to Marvel by you in writing, has or shall have any right, title or interest in or to the Material." The FORM stipulates a whole lot more, but the year is usually where I put the copyright mark.

Phil - And that's why ALPHA FLIGHT will probably not do anything other than what it's been doing in Captain Marvel.

Images

Okay, that follows then.

The Immortal Hulk is looking good for our heroes. (Well, Walter at least - and the writer knows he is Walter, not just a Sasquatch.)

~ Le Messor
    "One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever."
    ~ Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Phil - And that's why ALPHA FLIGHT will probably not do anything other than what it's been doing in Captain Marvel.
    I think it'll take a 'superstar' writer/artist team wanting the book to make them more.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Alpha Flight, NO!

So let me get this straight: you run down a comic book format that: (1) isn't currently being overused; (2) would make ALPHA FLIGHT stand out from the 300+ other comic books [and their space-taking variant covers], and; (3) have enough room to adequately tell a story with at least 10 main characters.

This is what I found out on FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: Captain America # 1 is going to have a wraparound cover (by ALEX ROSS, no less). Please confirm the page count for that issue. The DIAMOND DISTRIBUTORS PREVIEW catalog has a double-gatefold cover, plus an order form that can be detached with ease. IMMORTAL MEN # 1 and BRIMSTONE # 1 have super-gatefold covers that a(re) part (of) a poster. It's very easy to tear something down, but it's a lot harder to build something up. The question with regards to ALPHA FLIGHT is: which one is MARVEL doing?This last question I ask solely because I don't know the answer to it: Phil, do you work for MARVEL?

Images

Garry, I don't think Phil is running the idea down; I think he's just trying to keep your expectations realistic.

Especially since, as you say, Marvel is tearing Alpha down lately - so they're less likely to print the book.

Go ahead and submit this, but know that they aren't likely to say yes.

~ Le Messor
    "There is no security on this earth; there is only opportunity."
    ~ General Douglas MacArthur

Not sure where giving my personal opinion and constructive criticism became a personal attack, but hey ho.

So let me get this straight: you run down a comic book format that: (1) isn't currently being overused; (2) would make ALPHA FLIGHT stand out from the 300+ other comic books [and their space-taking variant covers], and; (3) have enough room to adequately tell a story with at least 10 main characters.
    I merely stated that in this market it's unlikely; if it were a viable, profitable (being the key word) option then Marvel would already be doing it regularly.

Captain America # 1 is going to have a wraparound cover (by ALEX ROSS, no less). Please confirm the page count for that issue.
    That strengthens my point.
    If Captain America, arguably one of Marvel's biggest characters, especially off the back of the biggest film opening of all-time, and written by a NYTimes best-selling author, can only get a single wraparound cover, and a 40 page (including adverts) #1 with 7 variants (Plus store exclusives) at $4.99 then there is NO chance AF will get a gatefold wraparound cover, no variant covers and 40 pages for $3.99.
    The extra pages for the gatefold and the extra pages for the issue would raise the price dramatically.
    Artists can't be expected to work for free.
    Printing presses can't be expected to work for free.
    The extra distribution for the extra weight isn't free.

Marvel is a business.

The DIAMOND DISTRIBUTORS PREVIEW catalog has a double-gatefold cover, plus an order form that can be detached with ease.
    Which are mostly text, or reproduced images, at no extra cost to artists.

IMMORTAL MEN # 1 and BRIMSTONE # 1 have super-gatefold covers that a part a poster.
    And I'd be VERY interested to see the budget and sales figures GDP for those.

The last time Marvel had a gatefold wraparound cover it was for the $4.99 40 page (including adverts) Age of Apocalypse #1 in July 2015 as one of 5 variant covers (and using connecting artwork for the #1-5 standard covers meaning no extra cost to artists).
    This sold 88,346 copies.
    This was not a success. (Although too, not a failure, and I know your estimated numbers are way lower)

A book selling 17,164 is a failure, and will barely cover the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Garry, I don't think Phil is running the idea down; I think he's just trying to keep your expectations realistic.
    Exactly this.
    I love your enthusiasm, I love that you want to do something about the team, and are actively looking into it; I just don't want you to be shot down in flames, if at all replied to.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Go ahead and submit this, but know that they aren't likely to say yes.
    The problem with this, is that Marvel legally CANNOT AND WILL NOT accept blind submissions, especially of their own characters and will destroy any un-opened, unless invited to pitch.
    You warrant that you are the sole owner, creator, inventor and author of the Material, that you have the full right and authorization to submit the Material and that no other person or entity, unless disclosed to Marvel by you in writing, has or shall have any right, title or interest in or to the Material." The FORM stipulates a whole lot more, but the year is usually where I put the copyright mark.
    You don't own Alpha Flight. Not even John Byrne owns Alpha Flight, which means you don't have the right to any of these characters so can't submit anything relating to them.

I'd be very interested to see this form/find out where you got it - is it current?

This last question I ask solely because I don't know the answer to it: Phil, do you work for MARVEL?
    I do not, and haven't claimed to.

I have, however worked in comics retail and still have friends/contacts that are retailers so I know somewhat about ordering and cut offs, and the perils that LCS owners face, with regards to the pros/cons of variants especially.

I also have close friends that have worked in the publishing divisions of big, but non-big-two, Diamond Premier Publishers, and others who have top 50 Image Books and we talk about this stuff all the time.

I'm not just spitballing to be an @$$.

I cannot fix Alpha Flight, but I'm not trying to. At least you're trying - and I respect that.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Another misunderstanding

Why would a big-name author risk his (or her) reputation writing an on-going series that is most likely going to be cancelled or rebooted within a year? Is there any proof or evidence that a big-name author is guaranteed to bring in a successful number of books sold, whether that is 100,000 or 200,000 or higher?

I would be more inclined to submit the ALPHA FLIGHT proposal if: (1) MARVEL asks me to; (2) MARVEL asks Diana Schutz, retired DARK HORSE editor, to be the editor of this special project, and (3) Mik would consider coloring the issue...if he hasn't already assembled his own creative team.